Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Post-Start Post

So I'm two days in and getting to the first post following my start on the job, as discussed.  One thing I did not anticipate was how [mentally] exhausting a workday would be.  20% of this is probably just attributable to the stress of being in a new position where I am not yet comfortable; the other 80% I'm attributing to the fact that more than half of my time is being spent reading and trying to commit everything to memory.

The first day started with the standard HR form signing, powerpoint slideshow, a tasteful video on workplace behavior with climax at the sexual harassment scene, etc.  I did this with several other new employees but none of whom were actuarial (aside from myself).  HR ended with the building tour and pass-off to our respective managers.  I  felt pity seeing the others get dropped off in their departments located in basements and cubicle farms knowing the product development department was housed in a relatively nice location with windows.  Too bad, so sad.

So I won't bore you with every detail of the first couple days at my desk.  I've basically been sitting in with my supervisor at their regular meetings/conference calls where things such as rate sheet changes and good beers are discussed.  When I am not doing that I am either getting a powerpoint presentation about some aspect of my job or else studying something included in my 3 month learning plan.  I am reading the Exam 5 syllabus paper on ratemaking, going through some training modules on our products and studying for my next exam.  I also have a paper to read on GLM and some user manuals for software in use there.

Among all the analysts I am the least advanced in my exam progression.  I expected this but it will mean I won't have a study buddy to work on the material with.  Not a big deal, just worth mentioning.  The other analysts say I have to slow down my reading pace and spread it out over a couple months - it is true that I'm already letting FM get sidelined by the other stuff.  Since one of my tasks is to develop a study plan for my next exam I don't think that will stay the case though.

Well, more informational meetings tomorrow with product managers in various product lines, analysts who work in the respective lines and in reserving, etc.  One thing I've learned so far is that the knowledge base required to become proficient in my role (R&D), since I will work with all the product lines, is much broader than that of the pricing/reserving analysts (though probably also less deep).  But I think this experience will be very valuable in my career down the road for that reason.

-Analyst

No comments:

Post a Comment