Sunday, September 1, 2013

Slackalacking

Overdue to post this update - I did indeed pass FM two weeks ago.  This was followed by lots of drinking Sunday evening (with my boss, my former boss, and other coworkers), and lots of drinking after work for the rest of the week.  The following week was a recovery week.

I was seriously considering prepping for the Halloween sitting of 3L.  I'd have to kill myself to be prepared in 2 months, but I think it would ultimately be worth it given that I'll save an exam come 2014 with the impending split of 3L by the CAS.  However, my boss sort of discouraged me in our last weekly meeting.  Though he didn't outright say not to, he emphasized how tough it would be and spent more time talking about the readings I and we had to do.  So though I got the manual for 3L, my new plan is to start casually studying now for MFE in March and 3LC/ST material for the May sitting, but to focus on the papers I have to read for work.  Maybe I'll knock out a VEE in the meantime.

Here are some quick reflections that may say more about myself/my company than life at entry level generally.  First, I find my company is super cheap when it comes to the exam incentives.  Now that I actually have a raise/bonus due, it turns out the newer revised (better) student program was not yet approved (though it was discussed with me in April when I was interviewing) and I will be getting the lesser rewards of the older program.  However, I can't get the raise/bonus until I get official notice of my passing FM, at which point the newer program WILL be past implementation!!!

Secondly, though I haven't seen more $$$ yet, I've been out spending it.  This weekend I'm away but I still went out and dropped some cash on new work clothes and shoes.  Actually over the entire past month I've been finding reasons to buy more outfits for work.  Also I've been stocking my house with better bourbon/beer and going out more.  I don't fit the cheap actuary stereotype very well.  I have to make a serious effort to reign in the spending and start saving/paying off loans!

I took an extra day off to make a 4-day weekend out of the holiday.  Visiting family where I grew up and spending time on the beach.  I'll be back to updating more regularly this week - actually, probably more regularly than I was before since I won't have a looming exam.

-FS

1 comment:

  1. In your first post, you "hope that some future aspiring actuaries will find this blog useful in pursuing their own career goals." I appreciate your perspective; it will be helpful in deciding whether to take the plunge into the prelims and job market soon. Surely there are others besides me who value your blog, so please keep it up!

    Congratulations on your recent pass!

    ReplyDelete